Tuesday, June 03, 2008

heartfulness


At the suggestion of my teacher, I picked up a wonderful book of meditations by Jon Kabat-Zin, called "Arriving at your own Door: 108 Lessons in Mindfulness". The title itself is enough food for thought for a life time. More on that later.
For today, my lesson is "heartfulness. Kabat-Zin reminds us that in Asian languages, the word for mind and heart is the same. So, in being mindful, perhaps we should hear "heartfulness".
Living with heartfulness towards others is almost natural, for me. It is why I do what I do. It is my vocation, my passion...and certain call from God. I am not saying I always do it well, but I do think I get what it means.
Living with hearfulness towards myself isn't as easy.
I pray for presence and hearfulness today.
Amen.

No comments: