Friday, June 05, 2009

Friday Five: Change!

Sally, over at RGBP, talks about all of the change happening in their family across the pond--interviews, new positions, oh my! Prayers for Sally! With that in mind, she offers the following Friday Five:
Changing location also means packing, so next month will be a month of clearing and sorting, deciding what comes and what gets left behind...

So with change in mind I offer you this Friday five; ( if you've never moved here's a chance to use your imagination)


1. A big move is looming, name one thing that you could not possibly part with, it must be packed ? My mother's jewelry box that her brothers gave her when she was 16. As a child I loved picking through all of the costume jewelry she had in it, and I just love it. Even though I don't really use it for my stuff...it's precious to me.

2. Name one thing that you would gladly leave behind...
uhhhh...so much. for starters, everything that is in our attic that isn't used or isn't luggage.

3. How do you prepare for a move

a. practically? I have moved alot. So, the packing thing is very organized for me, and I cull as I go.

b. spiritually/ emotionally? That is harder. De-nesting is difficult for me. When it is time to say goodbye, I walk through the house, or the office, or whatever is involved in the move. Saying thank you and goodbye is something really important for me.

4. What is the first thing you look for in a new place? The grocery store and a place to walk on a trail, or at least a wooded park.

5. Do you settle in easily, or does it take time for you to find your feet in a new location? IF it is a new location totally (e.g. different town, new job, etc.) it takes me at least two years, plus. Jus' sayin.


The bonus for today; a new opportunity has come up for you to spend 5 years in a new area, where would you go and why?

Five years is a long time. Maybe living on a farm, living closer to nature. Whimsically, I could say....Ireland or the Galapagos Islands...

6 comments:

Auntie Knickers said...

Great play; I have to say, Ireland sounds better than the Galapagos given the 5-year time span.

Jan said...

I remember getting to try on my mother's jewelry whenever I was sick--then she'd bring out her jewelry box and let me go through it. Thanks for reminding me.

"De-nesting" is a good term for leaving. Thank you's are very important to me, too.

angela said...

Precious thoughts on moving. I, too, like the idea of "de-nesting" but have not honored it as such.

Elaine (aka...Purple) said...

I too like the de-nesting idea and the re-nesting phase does take its own sweet time.

zorra said...

Now I am remembering my mother's old jewelry box, probably discarded in one of my parents' later moves...I'm glad you have yours.

revhipchick said...

wonderful play--i love that you have your mother's jewelry box.

peace