Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday..or God's Friday....


or...Karla's Friday, today?

In spite of being a New England congregational-UCC church, we do observe Holy Week each evening of this week, but not as much as I was used to as a child. However, I know culture has changed, as well. In any case, last night we had a moving quasi-tenebrae service, which involved foot washing, communion, diminishing and extinguishing of all of the lights.
quite moving...

and this evening, we will have a reflective meditation service in our chapel, led by our seminary intern.

today, however, I pray to keep God in this holies of Fridays. I will go to class this morning, as usual...and pick up round the house, do errands, stuff easter eggs for the hunt on Sunday, begin working on my sermon and the service for the 26 of April...and...maybe plant some pansies in front of the church--early on Easter or tomorrow.

in all of this...
dear God...
help my heart keep watch with you..
help my thoughts and mind be open to how
I might be moved closer to you..
so I might better be your servant.

amen. amen. amen.

2 comments:

Terri said...

amen...

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

Karla,
Can your congregation tomorrow say a special prayer for Fiji which is going through a horrendous time with another coup, (on Good Friday of all days!) now the President's (ghost-writers) abrogation of the constitution. This was the military's reaction to a court case that decided the interim government is illegal. It's all so sad as ordinary people wanted elections. I wrote a bit about it on our babasiga blog.
w.